Blogiversary: 10/2/2013

Thursday, June 6, 2019

Memorable Desserts

I've always enjoyed pumpkin pie.  It was always available during autumn, especially around my birthday, November 28th.  I associate pumpkin pie with family and comfort foods.  I associate it with good times and some of my deceased family that I spent many holidays with.

My husband, Trevor, on the other hand, is not fond of pumpkin pie.  When he was younger, he was in a pumpkin pie eating contest, and to this day it turns his stomach to smell pumpkin pie or pumpkin spice.  More pumpkin pie for me.

Fruit cake doesn't seem to be a holiday favorite for a lot of people, but I have always enjoyed it.  It reminds me of my great aunt Betty and great uncle Tony Arcala.  They lived in Pasadena, California when I was growing up.  Aunt Betty sometimes had holidays at her home and some of the newest foods introduced to me were her foods, such as quiche, petit fours, ambrosia salad, and her fruit cake.  I always enjoyed when we had potluck holiday parties and she bring her desserts.

Another favorite dessert has been birthday cakes my mother always picked up for me from Korean bakeries.  They were always iced with whipped cream and topped with fresh fruit, such as strawberries and kiwi.  I preferred the lightly sweetened Korean cakes over the common frosting American birthday cakes. I hope to one day carry on the tradition of giving Asian cakes to my future grandchildren.

One dessert, I have taken a fondness for, that my husband Trevor introduced me to is chocolate haupia pie.  It's got a light, flaky crust, topped with chocolate pudding, coconut custard (haupia), whipped cream, and garnished with toasted coconut shavings.  It's a popular dessert from Hawai‘i, and is a super light, and delicious dessert.  I haven't tasted anything like it in the mainland, but the texture reminds me of lemon merengue pie.  It's become a favorite because it reminds me of my bond with my husband whom has been one of my greatest inspirations and joys.

No comments:

Post a Comment