Blogiversary: 10/2/2013

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Wind-Up Toys


When I was 5 years old and met my older siblings, Sammie and Brian, for the first time, I remember their dad, William "Bill" Howard Kearns, told them to take me to the "treasure chest." It was a drawer full of wind-up toys, and I could pick one out.  I was in awe when I saw the amount of toys in the drawer. It was a great ice-breaker to let me choose a toy.

I used to love visiting my great aunt Betty (Margaret Arcala née Ross) and great uncle Tony (Antonio Arribas Arcala) because aunt Betty had a collection of wind-up mice that would run across the table or hop along.

All my life I told myself, I'd collect wind-up toys for my future grandbabies and other small children to take as a parting gift.  Wind-up toys are hard to find these days, but I'm so glad my husband, Trevor Michael Dillard, loved that idea when I proposed it to him.  He's going to be a grandfather in a couple months and I can't wait to one day tell our grandbabies to go pick a toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment