Blogiversary: 10/2/2013

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

My Name is KYONG-MI

My mom's name is Cha (it is derived from the Yu dynasty of China).  Her birth name, which is now her middle name is Kyong Ja.  My dad erroneously thought when my mom named me Kyong-Mi, that it meant, "Daughter of Kyong."  My mom said he was very wrong.

To my mom, my name means, "You grow more beautiful each time I look at you."  She named me that because after hours of a painful, natural delivery, my dad looked at me and said I was "one ugly baby."  My mom was livid.  She changed my name from Roxanne to Kyong-Mi.

 The phonetic sound "Mi" in Korean means "beautiful."  Depending on the Korean character, also called a hanja, that is used in the first part of my name, Kyong can be described like the Hawaiian word "Aloha."  It has various meanings.

My grandfather was a journalist, and fairly fluent in Japanese, as Japan occupied Korea.  He made many trips to Japan and nicknamed my mom, "Kiyoko."  It may have been an error on the name Keiko which has the same hanja as Kyong Ja.  When my mom was born, her father had just left Japan and came to Seoul, the capitol of Korea.  Her Kyong, according to her father means Capitol, and Ja means child.  Child of Seoul or Seoul's Child

From Wikipedia:  Kyung-ja, also spelled Kyoung-ja, is a Korean feminine given name. The meaning differs based on the hanja used to write each syllable of the name.  There are 54 hanja with the reading "kyung" and 28 hanja with the reading "ja" on the South Korean government's official list of hanja which may be used in given names.  Typically, "ja" is written with the hanja meaning "child" (子). The characters used to write this name can also be read as a Japanese female given name Keiko.

From Wikipedia:
Kyung, also spelled Kyoung, Gyeong, Kyeong, or Kyong, is an uncommon Korean family name, as well as a single-syllable Korean given name and an element in many two-syllable Korean given names.

The key word is element.  Using only "Kyong" to refer to me is a total error.  It changes the meaning of my name, not to mention, the spelling in its character form.  It is not a shortened version of Kyong-Mi, the way Beth is short for Elizabeth.  Nor is it a nickname for Kyong-Mi as Shelly is a nickname for Michelle.  Kyong is a whole different name.

Please call me by my name, "Kyong-Mi."

No comments:

Post a Comment